Coil Commander - Automotive Ignition Boost Converter
You Save: $50.00 (9 %)
Item Number: Coil_Commander_2.0
Manufacturer: Suprock Technologies
Manufacturer Part No: Coil_Commander_2.0
You're running boost on the intake charge of your high performance vehicle.... Now you can supercharge your ignition with the Coil Commander!
The stock ignition is supplied by the same voltage source as the rest of the vehicle at around 13-14V. The Coil Commander is a high performance boost converter that connects in-line with your ignition supply wire to increase the voltage supplied to the ignition system up to 20V. This is greater than the voltage supplied by costly 16V alternator/battery setups! Unlike 16V battery systems, the Coil Commander only boosts the ignition supply, allowing the rest of the vehicle's electronics to run from the specified stock 13.5V system. It can supply a constant voltage output even if the alternator fails while you're racing and you're running from less than 12V off the battery.
A V8 will draw approximately 1 amp per 1000RPM. Likewise, a 4 cylinder will draw about 0.5A per 1000RPM. The Coil Commander's high current specification allows it to supply the ignition on high RPM racing applications.
The coil commander can also drive fuel injectors to keep a constant voltage which helps tremendously for tuning high cc injetors.
Benefits of the Coil Commander
- Up to 20V ignition voltage runs your coil pack for a hotter spark
- Reduced spark blow-out with cold plugs or at high RPM
- Decoupled ignition noise from your vehicle for cleaner sensor signals
- Improved fuel economy due to larger flame kernel at the spark location
- Constant voltage output regardless of fluctuations in the alternator voltage
- Better use of stock ignition components or further enhance high performance ignition systems
The Coil Commander is an impressive DC/DC switching converter design. It is capable of running from 4.5V to 16V input and outputting continuous 8A. It is optimized for 8-14V input.
- 8A continuous current output
- 10A burst output (at 60% duty cycle; 60% of the time)
- Excellent line and load regulation for switched loads
- Substantial input and output filtering capacitance of 2x 690uF